With summer A.K.A. barbecue season, A.K.A. the real most wonderful time of year, a distant memory, it’s nice to be able to pull out a little nostalgia once in awhile. A great way to do this is by mimicking the season’s best dinner traditions, using the current season’s common practices. If you guessed….slow cooker! You are absolutely right. Right??? Mine is out all the time, not just because I use it to produce all those cold weather soups and stews, but also, it seems like there is a game, or a performance of some kind every other night; and it always solves those evening’s dilemmas. It’s got my back, man. And it does not disappoint with this BBQ beef. Serve it with baked beans, corn on the cob, or a simple salad; and it is a great cold-weather spin on a summer time-themed dinner.Print
Slow cooked, fall apart tender beef, in a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce, served on a bun.
- 3 lbs chuck roast, both sides salt and peppered
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup honey
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Season both sides of beef and set in slow cooker.
- Mix sauce ingredients and pour over beef, reserving one half cup.
- Set slow cooker to desired temp for desired cooking time, at least 6 hours on high, 8 hours on low. Periodically spoon sauce over beef.
- One hour before planned serving time, take two forks and begin shredding beef, mixing into sauce as you go. Let cook the rest of the hour before serving.
- Give beef a good stir right before assembling sandwiches. Pile shredded barbecue beef on a burger bun. (Check out my recipe for homemade burger buns!) Heat reserved barbecue sauce and serve along side sandwiches.