Dark chocolate cutout sugar cookies with a touch of cream cheese baked in, dipped in dark chocolate.
The best thing about these cookies is that they combine arguably two of the best flavors (chocolate and cream cheese) in a cutout cookie that can be customized for the holiday.
Since it's Halloween time, I chose these adorable black cats, and dipped their feet in the chocolate.
Some important tips about this recipe:
- The number one most important thing to know, is that you must chill the dough before rolling it out and cutting it.
- You'll need to roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Black cocoa is what will make these cookies black, like these black cats.
Be sure to soften the cream cheese first, and don't add more than the recipe calls for, or the dough will be too sticky.
This is the black cocoa I love the most is Dutched Black Cocoa Powder from The Cocoa Trader. It is super mellow, and delicious and it guarantees your cookies will be jet black.
For more black cocoa treats, try:
Fudge Dipped Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies
- parchment paper
- Rolling Pin
- baking sheet
- Cookie cutter
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup black cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips melted
- 3 tbsp evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp black cocoa powder
- In a large bowl, combine softened butter, sugar, softened cream cheese, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Flatten dough into two, 3 inch thick discs, wrap and chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- One portion at a time, roll dough between two pieces of parchment paper (top and bottom) to 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove top piece of parchment paper, cut shapes into dough, and remove excess dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until edges and center are set.
- Repeat with remaining dough and scraps, let cookies cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips, and evaporated milk, and cocoa powder in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted.
- Dip completely cooled cookies into melted fudge, cool on a cooling rack with parchment paper underneath to catch drips. Allow to harden (about 20 minutes).
- Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Chill dough a minimum of one hour, or overnight.
- Wait until cookies are completely cooled to dip.