I am a huge fan of the “over rice” meal. If its got a sauce and its served over rice, I am a very, very happy camper. This creamy mushroom chicken skillet is the perfect over-rice dish. The sauce is rich, and the mushrooms give it an earthy and comforting flavor. Also, with four kids, it’s an easy way to please them all. (One likes more sauce, the other likes less. If you have kids, you probably know this drill. )
The man, the kids, and myself all enjoyed this dish, and I will definitely be making it again.Print
Juicy, browned chicken breast, simmered in a rich mushroom and white wine sauce. Serve over rice.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp butter (can sub olive oil)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp corn starch (dissolved in a small amount of water)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- parsley, for garnish (chopped, optional)
- white rice (for serving)
- Generously salt and pepper chicken breast, both sides. In a large, heavy skillet, at medium-high/high heat add butter and chicken breast, and let brown very well for a few minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate. (They are not done at this point, just browned on the outside.)
- Add garlic to skillet, saute until brown.
- Once garlic is browned, add white wine and stock, simmer and reduce by half.
- Once reduced, add mushrooms, milk, heavy cream, cornstarch slurry, both cheeses, and salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Add chicken breast back to pan, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes (depending on thickness).
- Serve over rice.