A delicious blend of spices, tomato and ground beef studded with bits of cheddar cheese on a soft bun.
Ditch the sloppy joe seasoning packets and make something worthy of cleaning your plate with your fingers with this recipe for homemade sloppy joes.
Not only are you getting real fresh ingredients here, but the spices combination is so much better than what you'd get out of a flavor packet.
Not to mention--better for you. It's got smoked paprika, tomato, and just the right amount of spice. It also has real cheese dotted here and there oozing out of random bites. This is one very sloppy Joe.
Like your sandwiches on the messy side? Try:
- Fried Chicken with Summer Slaw Sandwich
- Copy Cat Arby's Beef n Cheddar
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw
- Lightened up Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Wine Braised Beef Dips with Homemade Au Jus
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion minced very finely
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 ounces medium cheddar cheese cut into cubes
- 4 poppy seed buns
- Cut cheddar into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside. In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onions at the same time. Add tomato paste, seasonings and water, and simmer until liquid is reduced and sauce thickens, stirring periodically. Remove from heat. Evenly drop cheese cubes onto the sloppy joe filling and lightly cover with meat, without stirring it up. Top each bun with sloppy joe mix, again, trying not to mix cheese.