Orange you glad…that we can make orange chicken at home? I am! That means fresh orange juice and zest, fresh garlic and ginger, and you can control your chicken quality. It’s all about the chicken quality these days. And I’m all about fried Chinese restaurant-style food. This recipe for orange chicken has crispy, breaded, fried white meat chicken pieces, in the most delicious, sticky, orange sauce with honey, ginger and soy sauce. Serve over steamed white rice.Print
White meat chicken, with crispy breading, in a tangy and sweet orange sauce.
- 3 chicken breasts (cut into large chunks)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 large oranges, the juice of all 4, and zest of 1
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup good honey
- 1 cup water
- oil for frying
- If you are serving with steamed rice, make sure you get that going before you start the chicken; you want it to be done so that you can serve the chicken immediately.
- Heat about half an inch of frying oil in a skillet on medium heat. Oil should ripple but not smoke. Cut chicken breast into large chunks.
- Prepare your sauce first, by combining orange juice, zest of one orange, soy sauce, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, honey and vinegar. Set aside.
- Prepare your dredging mixture: whisk flour, corn starch, ground ginger, salt, garlic powder in a medium bowl. Whisk the eggs in another bowl.
- Working in batches, coat chicken pieces first in egg, then dredging in flour mixture, then transfer straight to hot oil. Let them fully brown on each side before turning pieces over–don’t disturb them while they brown on each side. Once fully browned, transfer to a paper towel lined plate until all the chicken is cooked.
- By the end of the last pieces of chicken, there should not be much oil left in the skillet, about a few tablespoons along with some fried bits (if there is more go ahead and dump most of it, but leave a little bit in the pan).
- Deglaze the pan with one cup water, whisking up everything that is stuck on the pan to become part of the sauce. Add your prepared orange sauce mixture, and the fried chicken pieces back to the pan.
- Simmer on medium high heat for about 7-10 minutes until sauce is thickened. Serve immediately with steamed rice.