Ditch the overpriced packets, and make your own ranch dressing mix with this easy 5 minute buttermilk ranch seasoning recipe, with real buttermilk powder for authentic taste.
What is Ranch Seasoning Made of?
The store bought kind, is full of additives like MSG and other unhealthy, unnatural ingredients.
Homemade ranch seasoning is made of a few simple pantry herbs and spices along with dry buttermilk.
If you cannot locate dry buttermilk at the store, you can make your own by following these instructions for how to dehydrate buttermilk. Basically, you can dehydrate buttermilk and then pulse it in a food processor until powdered. Dry buttermilk is what gives the seasoning it's signature tang and richness, so you'll want to include it.
How do I make Dry Ranch Dressing From Scratch?
Whisk together the dry ingredients. It's as simple as that! Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 3 months.
How to Use the Dry Mix for Dressing and Dips
- For ranch dip, mix 2 tablespoons of prepared mix with 1 cup sour cream and ½ cup mayonnaise.
- For ranch dressing, mix 3 tablespoons of prepared mix with 1 ½ cups mayonnaise and ½ cup buttermilk or regular milk.
- Sprinkle dry mix on popcorn, crackers, potatoes, and virtually any time a recipe calls for Hidden Valley Ranch Packet seasoning- use the exact same amount that the recipe calls for. Measures the same.
For a fresh ranch dressing mix right now, click here for a delicious Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe.
Also, you must try this delicious way to use up the season's squash and zucchini with this Garlic Ranch & Zucchini Pizza.
- ½ cup buttermilk powder see note to DIY this ingredient
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp dried chives
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsps salt more or less to taste, and diet
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add buttermilk powder, dried parsley, dried chives, garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, sugar, salt and pepper to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Use a fork or whisk to combine until evenly mixed.
- Store in an air tight container in the pantry for up to 3 months.
- Dry buttermilk powder can be found at the grocery store in the same aisle as the baking and spices, along side the dehydrated milk.
- To make your own dried buttermilk, refer to post link, or simply dehydrate buttermilk in food dehydrator or oven and then pulse in a blender.
- To make ranch dressing, mix 3 tablespoons of prepared mix with 1 ½ cups mayonnaise adn ½ cup buttermilk (can substitute regular milk). Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- To make ranch dip, mix 2 tablespoons of prepared mix with 1 cup sour cream and ½ cup mayonnaise. Store in fridge for up to one week.
- Use interchangeably with any Hidden Valley Ranch packet seasoning recipe. 2 tablespoons of prepared mix is equivalent to a 1-ounce packet of Hidden Valley Ranch mix.