I just got my new mondo-size cast iron skillet yesterday, and I was dying to make a one-skillet dinner in it. I love a one-pot or one-skillet meal. Less dishes. Dishes are the enemy of a relaxing night.
So here I am, thinking about what I am going to layer up in this mondo skillet and I'm thinking ground beef (we can never have enough recipes for ground beef), potatoes, cheese... it's feeling tator-tot casserol-esq, so I'm going with that, and adding mushrooms and milk and chives.
Thus, the scalloped potato casserole is born. And she's a beauty! Just look at her gooey cheese, earthy mushrooms, and creamy sauce. She really is lovely 🙂
If you are looking for a hearty, and easy one skillet meal, this scalloped potato casserole is perfect. The flavors are simple, and it's a comfort dish that the entire family will love. The leftovers are also muy bueno.
All you are going to need to do for this dish is brown the beef, add the thinly sliced potatoes, mushrooms, the sauce ingredients and cheese, and let cook, covered in the oven. (If you don't have a big skillet that can go from stove-top to oven, then just transfer it into a casserole dish to bake it. But I recommend a cast iron skillet, it's truly my favorite cooking surface. Mondo size.) You'll pull it out and shower it with a layer of cheese, and leave it uncovered for another few minutes, letting the top melt and get golden. Just before serving, hit it with a sprinkle of fresh chives.
That's it! So simple, and yummy.
Scalloped Potato Casserole
- 4 large russet potatoes cleaned and sliced thin, 1/16" with a knife or mandolin
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cups milk preferably 2%, but another kind is fine
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2 ½ cups colby-jack cheese shredded off the block
- 3 tsbp freshly chopped chives or dried (plus more for garnishing)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large, oven safe skillet, brown ground beef on stove top. Meanwhile, using a mandolin or carefully with a sharp knife, cut clean potatoes, skin on into 1/16 inch slices.
- When the ground beef is done, remove from heat. If your skillet is not oven-safe, transfer into a regular casserole dish. Add potatoes, mushrooms, sour cream and mayonnaise, milk, garlic and onion powder, and salt and pepper. Toss together until the sour cream and mayonnaise is completely blended and there are no lumps.
- Add 2 cups of the cheese, reserving the other half cup for later. Add chives and toss again until evenly combined.
- Cover with foil and bake until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle on remaining ½ cup of cheese and bake uncovered until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle on additional fresh chives over the top.