Mascarpone Strawberry cake is a coffee cake-style or even snack cake. It is the perfect way to use those peak-season strawberries, and it has the perfect spongey texture to support a delicious crumb topping.
The inside is dotted with red, ripe strawberries and the hint of mascarpone cheese in every bite is delicious with the berries.
The crumb topping is the best part. I am that type that likes a lot of crumb; if it's going to be there, I want a lot of it. This cake does not skimp on the crumb factor, but it also amazingly, doesn't weight it down.
There is nothing out of the norm, when it comes to making this coffee cake. Whisk together your dry ingredients to ensure they are evenly dispersed, and then go ahead with the wet ingredients.
Fold the strawberries in at the end, once the batter is completely mixed up.
The crumb topping is combined in a separate, smaller bowl using a pastry cutter, fork, or your hands (like I do), and then evenly sprinkled over the top before popping it in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.
Strawberry Mascarpone Coffee Cake
- 10 tablespoon butter softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups chopped strawberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a springform pan
- In a medium bowl, combine the crumb topping ingredients. Using a fork, pastry cutter or hands, cut the butter into the flour and sugar until it resembles large crumbs; set aside
- Cream together butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and mascarpone
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir to combine
- Gently fold in chopped strawberries
- Pour into greased springform pan (you can also use a 9x9 inch square baking dish
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the top of the batter
- Bake at 350 degrees, for about one hour; until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Cool before removing springform outer circle, and let cool well before cutting