Homemade sweet potato fries, are so easy to make. They are packed with vitamin A, and the combination of sweet to salty, is the reason so many people opt for sweet potato fries over regular french fries. There are just a couple of simple steps to making, delicious, sweet and salty sweet potato fries at home. What a great way to get your veggies!
Sweet Potato Fries
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- oil for frying
- coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- After peeling sweet potatoes, carefully slice evenly into ¼″ slices.Cut those slices every ¼″, so that you have French fried shaped strips.Soak the sticks in ice cold water for 30 minutes to remove some of the excess starches. In a narrow stock pot, pour frying oil about 4 inches deep.Heat oil on medium high heat, until shiny and ripples, but not smoking. If you have a thermometer, this should register about 350 degrees.When potatoes are done soaking, pat excess moisture off of potatoes (this will reduce risk of over-boiling of oil).Toss fries in corn starch. Test that oil is ready by placing one small potato in it; it should immediately begin frying.
- In small batches, about a third at a time, quickly submerge potatoes in oil; and fry 4 to 6 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon or mesh ladle and salt with course salt IMMEDIATELY, tossing as you go.