Homemade Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Creamy, light tomato soup, made with fresh cream and fresh basil.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ red bell pepper minced
- d15 oz canned tomato home canned or store bought
- 3 cups chicken stock not broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 8 large basil leaves chopped, plus more for garnish
- parmigiano-reggiano rind optional, for flavor, remove when soup's done
- ½ cup heavy cream optional
Saute vegetables in olive oil or butter.
Add remaining ingredients, except for cream. Simmer on medium high heat until reduced by half.
Use an immersion blender to blend and puree the soup.
Using an immersion blender in medium stock pot, blend tomatoes until pureed. (You can also use a regular blender, and add them to the pot.)
Reduce heat to low, add cream.
Remove Parmesan rind if you added one.
Salt and pepper to taste, serve with grilled cheese.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 411mg | Potassium: 568mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 899IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg