Easy mayonnaise recipe, using just eggs, oil, salt, sugar and an acid.
Servings: 1 cups
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups neutral oil like vegetable or canola or other neutral flavored oil
- ½ tsp fine salt
- ½ tsp sugar
Immersion Blender Method
Add egg and acid (vinegar or lemon juice) to the bottom of a narrow jar or glass measuring cup that is slightly larger than the head of your immersion blender.
Gently pour oil over the top. Insert immersion blender (in the OFF setting) into the oil until it covers the top of the egg, flush with the bottom of the glass. Turn it to the on position.
Leave it in the on position, pressed onto the bottom of the glass for about 15 seconds; you'll see a pale yellow emulsion begin to form. Once fully formed on the bottom (30 seconds max), slowly bring the immersion blender to the surface, and give it a few pumps up and down to fully blend.
Blend in the salt and sugar. Done!
Food Processor Method
In a food processor, mixer, or by hand with bowl and whisk combine eggs and vinegar/lemon juice until lightened and pale in color.
Add oil in a slow, THIN stream. Patience is a virtue. As you go, mixture will thicken.
Once all the oil has been added and it resembles mayonnaise, then add salt and sugar. Blend. store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Use a neutral tasting oil, like vegetable oil or light olive oil. If you want to use extra virgin olive oil, do a blend of ½ cup EVOO to ¾ cup neutral oil.
- If the mayonnaise seems thin, add a little more oil; it seems counter intuitive, but that will thicken it up.
- Using the immersion blender method is the fastest, easiest way by far.
- If you use the blender or food processor method, you must add the oil in a very thin, steady stream over the course of 3-5 minutes. If you go to fast, it will "break" and become a thin mess that won't come together. You'll have to start over at this point, or slowly add the broken mixture to a freshly blended egg yolk along with another ½ cup of oil in a clean, fresh bowl.
- Season with salt and sugar after the mayonnaise is formed.
- Add additional seasonings, if desired, to flavor your mayo and make an aioli.
- For a copy cat Miracle Whip Recipe, add ¼ teaspoon each more of vinegar and sugar, along with a pinch of garlic powder, and sweet paprika.