Chicken Cheese Corn Chowder
Thick and rich, with on-the-cob roasted corn, red pepper, sharp cheddar cheese, and hearty chicken pieces.
Servings: 10 servings
- 2-3 cooked chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 3-4 ears corn
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red orange or yellow sweet pepper (diced)
- 4 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups frozen sweet corn or canned, drained
- 15 oz can of creamed corn
- ½ cup sherry can substitute beer
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded off block
- 1 cup heavy cream
Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high heat, do not use oil. Lay corn cobs in skillet, turning occasionally until kernels start to develop a deep brown color, some almost blackened. Remove from heat and cool before slicing off the cob.
In a large pot saute one minced onion, 4 minced cloves garlic and diced red bell pepper with 4 tablespoons butter until softened.
Add diced potatoes and saute for 3-5 minutes to give them a head start at softening.
Pour in sherry/beer, and simmer down for 5 minutes.
Add 32 oz of chicken stock, 1 ½ cups frozen corn (or drained canned), can of creamed corn and the blackened corn kernels sliced off the cobs. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
Reduce heat to low. Add 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup heavy cream, and the chicken pieces, and simmer on low until smooth, melted and heated through.
- bake or otherwise cook chicken breast through prior to making soup
- can substitute sherry for beer, white wine, or extra stock or broth
- can substitute canned corn for frozen, but drain first
- to thicken soup even more, whisk 2 tablespoons of corn starch, or 4 tablespoons of all purpose flour into about a half cup water until smooth. Whisk into chowder and simmer on low until thickened and flour taste is no longer detectable
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 489mg | Potassium: 809mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1060IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 211mg | Iron: 2mg