Homemade frozen yogurt with real berries and a shortcake crumb on the outside.
They are like the strawberry shortcake ice cream treats on a stick that we had growing up; remember those? Except these are even better because they’ve got triple the berries, they’re frozen yogurt rather than ice cream, and they’re homemade!
To make these treats could not be simpler. You can actually get as homemade as you want with these. Use your own berries, or buy frozen. Make your own whipped cream, or get some good quality store stuff. Same goes for the cookie crumble. You can use your own shortbread or sugar cookies, or grab some from the local bakery. I’m pretty loose when it comes to summer treats because, I believe they should be easy and fun.
The process goes like this….
Pick a good mix of berries including blackberry, raspberry and strawberry. I used pre-frozen this time, because they thaw and there is enough moisture to make a puree with. You can use whatever you have access to or have on hand, but keep in mind that if you use fresh, you may need to add a couple of tablespoons of water to the puree process to thin it out. Pulse your berries in a food processor or blender until they are a slightly chunky puree.
Add 2 cups of vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and a splash of vanilla to the berry puree and mix until combined.
Pour the berry and yogurt mixture into popsicle molds, leaving about a 1/4 inch headspace. Put covers and, or sticks into place and freeze until firm.
Using a shortbread like cookie, or the vanilla sandwich cookies, cream removed, crush in a plastic bag with a rolling pin until crushed to the consistency of coarse bread crumbs.
Once the pops are completely frozen solid, run them for about 20 seconds under warm water, just enough to get them to easily release from their molds.
Roll the pops in the cookie crumbs, and lay on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes before individually wrapping with plastic wrap.
Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 cup greek vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup frozen berries thawed, pureed until slightly chunky
- 10 shortbread cookies crushed into coarse crumbs
- Make sure berries are mostly thawed. Process or blend until pureed but still slightly chunky.
- Fold together yogurt, whipped cream, vanilla and sugar.
- Gently swirl in the pureed berries.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until completely firm, minimum 2 hours
- Remove from freezer, run molds under warm water for about 20 seconds, to release the pops.
- Roll each pop in the crushed shortbread crumbs and lie on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze for an additional 30 minutes before wrapping individually in plastic wrap.