Chocolate Blackout Cake
The darkest black chocolate cake with a dark and shiny chocolate ganache icing.
Servings: 24 pieces
- 2 cups all purpose flour or cake flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup Dutch processed black cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk can substitute 1 ½ cups milk plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar (stir and let sit 3-5 minutes)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. Dutch processed black cocoa powder
- Halloween sprinkles of choice for decorating, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan with shortening, butter or cooking spray and dust lightly with flour. Tap off excess.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Add to that the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla, and stir gently until combined.
Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake 26-34 minutes, until top is springs back when lightly poked with finger, or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool completely.
In a microwave safe container stir heavy cream, chocolate chips and black cocoa powder. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each one until melted and completely smooth.
Cool icing and cake completely before frosting.
Begin by scooping a very large dollop onto the center of the cake, and then using an offset spatula to spread a thin layer evenly to each edge.
Decorate with metallic sanding sugar directly after frosting, so the sprinkles stick.
- If you don't have buttermilk, mix 1 cup of regular milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar, stir and let sit for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Sift the cocoa powder first to remove any bitter lumps.
- Sift the flour to remove lumps.
- Cake batters can be fickle, so it's not advised to use an electric mixer of any sort.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 167mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 137IU | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg