Crinkle Top Brownies
Dense, chewy, fudgy brownies, with a tissue paper thin crinkle top
Servings: 9 brownies
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup cocoa powder dutch process
- 1 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup optional semi sweet chocolate chips or coarse chopped chocolate of choice (optional )
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 inch square baking pan, or line with parchment paper.
Mix or whisk sugar, eggs and vanilla for up to 10 minutes until lightened in color.
Gently fold in remaining ingredients, just until mixed.
Spread into a 9x9 inch baking pan.
Bake for 20-28 minutes until edges are set. Center should feel soft but will set as they cool.
Cool for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before cutting.
- Pull the brownies out of the oven when the edges are set, and the middle is still gooey-they'll set as they cool. It's better that they're under done than over cooked.
- Avoid using an electric or stand mixer for crinkle top brownies, as they can hinder the result of a shiny, flaky top and make the brownies cakey.
- Fold the ingredients together only until things are just combined and no further.
- If using a 9x9 inch square pan, you'll likely need to reduce cooking time by 4-6 minutes.
- If using a 13x9 inch rectangular pan, reduce cooking time by 5-7 minutes.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 539kcal | Carbohydrates: 89g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 278mg | Potassium: 311mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 67g | Vitamin A: 68IU | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 4mg