Roasted Root Vegetables
Caramelized root vegetables roasted with garlic, herbs and lemon until browned and delicious.
- 4-5 medium Yukon gold potatoes, red potatoes, or combination Washed, cut into quarters
- 2 medium parsnips peeled, sliced into coins
- ¼ pound baby cut carrots
- ½ medium sweet onion peeled, cut into strips
- 2 heads whole garlic with the top cut off
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh thyme, sage, rosemary or combination of all
- 1 medium lemon cut in half
- coarse salt and black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Arrange cut vegetables and herbs on a baking sheet.
Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and squeeze lemon over everything, and toss to coat.
Bake for 30-45 minutes, tossing once during the second half of the cooking time, until edges of vegetables are browned and caramelized, and vegetables are fork tender.
- Use any starchy root vegetable, including: rainbow carrots, celery root, turnips, rutabagas and more. See this guide to root vegetable types.
- Place whole garlic heads with the cut side up, making sure they have a little bit of olive oil on the cut surface.
- Cup your hand under the lemon while you squeeze it, to catch any seeds from falling.
- Either toss the lemon halves away after they've been squeezed over vegetables, or allow them to roast on the pan with the vegetables, to further ifuse flavor.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 811mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2606IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg