Oven roasted root vegetables are one of the easiest side dishes you can make, and they pair perfectly with cozy, fall dinners of all kinds.
The sweet, starchy vegetables and onion petals caramelize beautifully in the oven, and a little olive oil helps the edges become brown and crisp.
Why this recipe works
- Root vegetables are some of the most inexpensive vegetables, and they are in season during virtually all of the winter months.
- You're not limited to the few root vegetables listed in the recipe card! Here is a guide to the different kinds of root vegetables.
- This side dish takes just 10 minutes of hands-on time to make, the rest of the cooking is done in the oven.
- This side dish can be made in large quantity, making it a perfect side dish recipe for crowds.
How to make this side dish
These oven roasted root vegetables can be made as easily as chopping the vegetables, seasoning them with salt and pepper, drizzling olive oil and tossing with herbs.
The rest of the cooking is done in the oven. Just give them a little toss around the baking sheet once during the baking process. It's really as easy as that!
Don't limit yourself to just carrots, potatoes and parsnips! My absolute favorite root vegetable is celery root (celeriac). Consider rainbow carrots, rutabagas, fingerling potatoes, and more.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over vegetables before drizzling the olive oil, then toss to coat with your hands.
Fresh or dried herbs are both great options, use what you have.
Squeeze the lemon over the vegetables before baking.
Root vegetables make great side dishes. For more recipes like this one, try:
If you tried this recipe, leave a rating below using the stars in the recipe card!
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 4-5 medium Yukon gold potatoes, red potatoes, or combination Washed, cut into quarters
- 2 medium parsnips peeled, sliced into coins
- ¼ pound baby cut carrots
- ½ medium sweet onion peeled, cut into strips
- 2 heads whole garlic with the top cut off
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh thyme, sage, rosemary or combination of all
- 1 medium lemon cut in half
- coarse salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange cut vegetables and herbs on a baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and squeeze lemon over everything, and toss to coat.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, tossing once during the second half of the cooking time, until edges of vegetables are browned and caramelized, and vegetables are fork tender.
- Use any starchy root vegetable, including: rainbow carrots, celery root, turnips, rutabagas and more. See this guide to root vegetable types.
- Place whole garlic heads with the cut side up, making sure they have a little bit of olive oil on the cut surface.
- Cup your hand under the lemon while you squeeze it, to catch any seeds from falling.
- Either toss the lemon halves away after they've been squeezed over vegetables, or allow them to roast on the pan with the vegetables, to further ifuse flavor.