Carrots and parsnips coated in rich melted butter, balsamic vinegar and honey, and roasted until caramelized and golden brown.
Honey roasted carrots and parsnips are delicious, and anyone can make them.
The melted butter, honey and balsamic glaze brings out the sweetness of the carrots and parsnips even more as they caramelize in the oven.
Thyme- fresh, can substitute dried thyme or fresh or dried sage.
Honey- any kind.
Garlic powder- optional.
Salt and Pepper- preferably coarse salt and pepper, since the texture compliments the caramelized, roasted vegetables.
Melt the butter in the microwave or stove top.
Once the butter is melted, whisk in the balsamic vinegar and garlic powder.
Set the butter mixture aside.
Use a vegetable peeler to peel the outsides of the carrots and parsnips, and trim the tops and ends off.
Once the root vegetables are peeled and trimmed, cut the carrots into halves to make sticks, and the parsnips into fourths to make sticks.
Toss the carrot and parsnip sticks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Drizzle half of the whisked butter mixture, and the thyme, over the root vegetables, and toss to coat.
Sprinkle liberally with coarse salt and pepper.
Whisk the honey into what is remaining of the balsamic vinegar and butter mixture, and set aside.
Roast the coated vegetables in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes at first, or until edges just begin to caramelize.
Remove the carrots and parsnips from the oven toss them lightly, and drizzle with what is left of the honey, balsamic butter mixture.
Return the pan to the oven and continue to roast the vegetables for another 10-15 minutes, or until totally caramelized, tender and browned on the edges.
Serve this delicious dish as a side to any meal.
If you tried this recipe, leave a rating below using the stars in the recipe card.
Honey Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
- 1 pound carrots peeled and trimmed
- 1 pound parsnips peeled and trimmed
- 1 stick butter
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ⅛ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ cup honey
- thyme fresh, or similar herb
- coarse salt
- coarse ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Whisk in the balsamic vinegar and garlic powder into the butter, and set aside.
- Peel the carrots and trim the ends off; cut into halves long ways.
- Peel the parsnips and trim the ends off, cut into halves or quarters, long ways.
- Arrange cut vegetables and herbs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (to avoid sticking).
- Drizzle the vegetables with half of the butter and balsamic mixture.
- Sprinkle the vegetables liberally with coarse salt and pepper and toss.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and whisk the remaining butter mixture with the honey, and drizzle that over the vegetables.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown and caramelized on the edges.