Creamy, hot and comforting tomato basil soup, made homestyle. Perfect with grilled cheese. Just in time for the cold weather.
This creamy tomato soup is so quick and easy to make.
It's perfect for quick dinners, or light lunches, or just when you need a little pick me up in the form of a hot bowl of yummy soup.
Serve with some grilled cheese to dunk, and you'll never reach for the canned stuff again.
Want more soup?
Creamy Chicken and Dumplings- ok, not a soup, but still creamy and warm and delicious.
Homemade Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 red bell pepper minced
- d15 oz canned tomato home canned or store bought
- 3 cups chicken stock not broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 8 large basil leaves chopped, plus more for garnish
- parmigiano-reggiano rind optional, for flavor, remove when soup's done
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- Saute vegetables in olive oil or butter.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for cream. Simmer on medium high heat until reduced by half.
- Use an immersion blender to blend and puree the soup.
- Using an immersion blender in medium stock pot, blend tomatoes until pureed. (You can also use a regular blender, and add them to the pot.)
- Reduce heat to low, add cream.
- Remove Parmesan rind if you added one.
- Salt and pepper to taste, serve with grilled cheese.