If you like garlic knots, then this giant garlic knot bread recipe is a must-make. It’s like a king size version of a garlic knot.
The bread itself, is pillow soft, but the creases have just the right amount of stretch and chew.
It gets slathered with garlic and herb butter before baking in the oven, so it gives the outer crusts a beautiful glow. Any extra drips fall into the creases where it bakes in, so not a drop gets lost.
This garlic knot bread is truly a show stopper! Try serving it with this easy and delicious Spaghetti with Meat Sauce.Print
All the goodness of garlic knots, in an easy, giant sized braided bread loaf.
For the bread dough:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour
For the garlic herb butter:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon each dried parsley, basil, and oregano (to total one tablespoon) or similar mix.
- Add all ingredients to bread machine and set to dough cycle (See below for by hand instructions). The dough needs to be forming a ball, not a batter. Add a touch more flour if necessary, or water if too dry.
- (If kneading by hand, combine all ingredients, turn over onto a flour surface, and knead for 10 to 15 minutes, before greasing a large bowl, placing dough ball in it and covering to let rise in a warm area for 1 hour.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once the bread cycle is complete (or the first rise is complete in the bowl), invert dough onto a well floured area. Divide into 3 equal portions. Roll the portions into 12 inch long tubes.
- Press the top of the three strands together, and fold under to cover the crease, fanning the long sections out in a wide, triangular shape. Proceed to “braid” the bread. Once to the end, press them together and fold under similar to the top.
- Mix butter, salt, garlic powder and dried herbs together in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high 30-60 seconds, until melted. Brush over entire braid.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Can be made by hand or in bread maker on dough cycle.
- Be sure to use instant yeast-if using active dry yeast, the yeast needs to be “proofed” by dissolving it for 5 minutes in the lukewarm water.
Keywords: garlic knots, easy, homemade