Herbed meatballs with mushroom gravy are so good when made from scratch. These saucy meatballs are delicious when served with buttery pasta or mashed potatoes.
The meatballs have herbs and cheese in them, and the consistency is exactly what a meatball should be like.
Don't ever wash your mushrooms. They get really slimy and soggy very easily that way.
Instead, all you need to do is take a dry, clean towel, and just wipe them and rub off any dirt.
They will then get sautéed in the pan with the shallot, rosemary spring, and garlic and butter, just until everything is caramelized and delicious.
And the sauce. This is the best sauce in the world.
The flavor of the rosemary, garlic, butter, and mushrooms that have caramelized on the pan, combine with wine, beef broth, and cream.
First, get your salted pasta water coming up to a boil, and cook the pasta to al dente, drain and toss with butter and coarse black pepper.
During this time, you'll mix up your meatballs.
Combine all the ingredients except the meat, and then add the meat and blend only enough to get things incorporated.
Once you have your meat mixed up, form 2 inch balls. This should yield you about one dozen large meatballs.
Lining a baking sheet with parchment paper prevents anything from sticking to the pan, and it also allows for a quick cleanup.
While the pasta and meatballs are cooking, make the sauce.
In a skillet, saute the butter, shallot, garlic, cleaned mushrooms, and rosemary sprigs.
When everything looks caramelized in the pan, deglaze with the white wine.
Add the beef broth, and keep it on the same medium-high heat that you have been using to saute.
Simmer to reduce the liquid, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.
Whisk in the cornstarch and cream, and simmer on low until thickened, just a minute or two.
Once the sauce is thickened, add the cooked meatballs back to the sauce, toss to coat. Turn off the heat.
Serve the meatballs in mushroom gravy on buttery pasta or mashed potatoes, and enjoy.
Other recipes you might like:
If you tried this recipe, leave a comment or rate it in the recipe card below.
Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy
- 1 ½ pound ground beef
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cremeni mushrooms cleaned, and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot peeled, minced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled, minced
- rosemary sprigs
- ⅓ cup wine dry, white
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine meatball ingredients, and roll into 2 inch balls. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, until cooked through.
- In a deep skillet, saute` butter, garlic, shallot, mushrooms, and whole rosemary sprigs on medium high heat until onions are caramelized.
- Add white wine and beef broth, and simmer for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low,
- Whisk cornstarch with a couple tablespoons of water, then whisk into the beef broth and wine mixture. Simmer for another 3 mintues until thickend.
- Reduce heat to low, and whisk in the cream.
- Add meatballs to the sauce, turn to coat. Turn off the heat.
- Serve meatballs and sauce on buttered pasta or mashed potatoes.