Cherry meatballs are Seasoned beef and pork meatballs in a rich and saucy cherry and red wine sauce. These meatballs are fantastic as appetizers or as a meal over mashed potatoes or rice.
Once you've tasted these saucy cherry meatballs, you will want every excuse to eat them.
Luckily, they can go from appetizer to the main dish easily.
While these cherry meatballs are delicious served alone as an appetizer for a hungry crowd, they are also phenomenal when served alongside mashed potatoes or rice as a meal.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy clean-up.
Make the meatballs.
Combine the raw ground beef, pork and eggs.
Add the bread crumbs, seasoning, and Parmesan cheese and mix until evenly distributed.
Form the balls between your palms to be about 2 inches wide and place 1-2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
Bake for 14-18 minutes until edges are brown and start to crisp. They will finish cooking through in the sauce. Set aside.
Make the cherry sauce for the meatballs.
Heat a heavy skillet on medium-high heat.
Sauté butter, shallot, and garlic until fragrant and the shallot becomes translucent.
Pour in the red wine and stir with a spatula to bring up the stuck pieces off the bottom of the pan.
Add the drained cherries and balsamic vinegar.
Cook on a medium-high simmer until the cherries begin to break down and it looks like a glaze.
In a separate mixing cup, whisk a bit of corn start into the stock or broth until smooth.
Pour the cornstarch mixture into the cherry wine mixture and whisk immediately until smooth.
Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken and bubble.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Add the meatballs to the sauce in the pan.
Add the browned meatballs directly to the skillet and the sauce, and allow them to finish cooking through in the sauce on a medium simmer for another 4-5 minutes.
Remove the cherry meatballs skillet from the heat and serve as an appetizer, or with buttery mashed potatoes or rice.
If you tried this recipe, leave a comment below or leave a rating in the recipe card.
Cherry Wine Meatballs
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded or grated
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- salt and pepper
Cherry Wine Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz canned dark sweet cherries drained
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sage fresh or dried
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix meatball ingredients until combined, form 2 inch balls and bake on a baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet, saute garlic in olive oil until softened.
- Add drained cherries, wine, balsamic vinegar and sage. Simmer on medium high heat until cherries break down and liquid becomes reduced and thickened.
- Whisk corn starch into some beef broth to dissolve any lumps.
- Pour beef broth (and cornstarch) into skillet and simmer for 10-15 minutes on a high simmer, whisking.
- Salt and pepper sauce to taste.
- Add meatballs to skillet, reduce to low simmer and cook for up to 5 minutes, tossing to coat the meatballs.
- Serve with buttery mashed potatoes.