These fluffy biscuits are both sweet and savory with sharp cheddar and pomegranate seeds, a perfect addition to your holiday side menu.
These biscuits are our favorite new holiday tradition. They make a great holiday side biscuit because they are both sweet and savory and decadent.
Drizzled with sweet honey butter and served warm, they are a welcome addition to any holiday menu.
These are a holiday version of my shortening biscuits, which are super soft, pillowy biscuits that have received great reviews from readers.
Flour- all purpose flour or bread flour.
Pomegranate seeds- can be bought already prepared and seeded, or you can remove the seeds from the pomegranate yourself.
Cheese- sharp cheddar or extra sharp is the most flavorful for these biscuits.
Buttermilk- buttermilk is preferred, but you can substitute regular 2% or 1% milk if it's necessary.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
To make these sweet and savory cheddar pomegranate holiday biscuits, start by combining the dry ingredients first in a large bowl.
To the mixed dry ingredients, add the shortening and use a fork or your hands to cut it in until the mixture is soft and slightly crumbly.
I find that using a fork at first to break up the large chunks, then switching to my hands to evenly disperse it works best.
Pour buttermilk into the flour and shortening mixture and use a fork or spoon to mix it until it forms a sticky dough.
Add half of the shredded cheddar cheese and mix it into the dough, then add the remaining cheese and pomegranate seeds.
Combine the biscuit dough with the cheese and pomegranate seeds gently to avoid smashing the pomegranate seeds. Mix until just combined.
Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface or a silicone mat and press into a 1 ½ inch thick disc.
Arrange the cut biscuits onto a baking sheet 1-2 inches apart.
Melt the butter and whisk the melted butter together with the honey.
Brush a bit of the melted honey butter onto each biscuit, then bake the biscuits for 14-16 minutes, or until golden brown and fluffy.
Immediately after removing the baked biscuits from the oven, brush them again with the honey butter and let them cool slightly before serving.
To reheat the biscuits, wrap them in foil and bake for 4-5 minutes at 300 degrees. If desired, brush them again with more honey butter.
Store the baked cheddar pomegranate holiday biscuits at room temperature for up to two days or in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Biscuits dough can be prepared ahead of time, and cut into individual biscuits to be frozen for baking fresh later. Store cut biscuits in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To bake biscuits from frozen, bake for 18-24 minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown and fluffy. Apply honey butter the same way as recipe directs above.
If you tried this recipe, leave a comment below.
Other recipes you might like...
Did you try these savory pomegranate biscuits? Leave a comment below or a rating in the recipe card!
Cheddar Pomegranate Holiday Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk can substitute regular milk mixed with ½ teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice, stirred, and left to sit 5 minutes to curdle
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds about half a pomegranate worth
- 4 tablespoon butter melted
- 4 tablespoon honey
- flaky salt optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter, fork, or hands until blended and soft crumbs form.
- Add buttermilk to flour mixture, stir until combined and a sticky dough has formed.
- Add half of the shredded cheddar cheese, mix, and add remaining cheddar cheese and pomegranate seeds. Mix until just combined.
- Turn out onto a floured surface or silicone mat fand press into a 1 ½ inch disc. Cut medium sized biscuits using a biscuit cutter and arrange on a baking sheet with about 1-2 inches in between.
- Melt butter in the microwave for 30 seconds and whisk with the honey.
- Brush the biscuits with the melted honey butter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush with more melted honey butter, and serve warm. Sprinkle with flaky salt for an added touch, if desired.
- To reheat the biscuits, wrap them in foil and bake for 4-5 minutes at 300 degrees. If desired, brush them again with more honey butter.
- Store the baked cheddar pomegranate holiday biscuits at room temperature for up to two days or in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Biscuits dough can be prepared ahead of time, and cut into individual biscuits to be frozen for baking fresh later. Store cut biscuits in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To bake biscuits from frozen, bake for 18-24 minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown and fluffy. Apply honey butter the same way as recipe directs above.