These chicken salad sandwiches originally came by accident on a day when it was just. Too. Darn. Hot. To turn on the oven. Make no mistake, though, they will be eaten year round. They are so good!
This is not quite the typical chicken salad that you’d think of in a chicken salad sandwich. These are much more vibrant, because they incorporate tons of fresh, garden-veggie salad ingredients, fresh herbs, grated sharp cheddar, and a bright garlicky, poppyseed dressing. They are amazing.
Bonus, they take no time at all to make.
The perfect time to make these, is when you have some leftover rotisserie chicken, or leftover chicken breast that you need to use up, because it doesn’t take much to fill a few sandwiches once tossed with all the other goods that go inside. Obviously though, don’t let that stop you. If you need to bake a chicken breast (salt and peppered), one breast will lend enough meat to fill four large hoagie buns full of chicken salad. Rather than slicing the chicken with a knife, just use your hands to pull it apart into pieces. It’s a better texture that way.
With the chicken breast pieces torn up and tossed in a large bowl, add to that the veggies. The veggies in this is what makes this chicken salad so fresh and amazing. A handful of yellow grape tomatoes, romaine lettuce and arugula, and red onion get added to the bowl, followed by lots of fresh dill, chopped avocado, and (of course) sharp cheddar cheese.
Now for the garlicky, poppyseed dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper and poppy seeds in a separate, smaller bowl. That’s it for the dressing, but you don’t want to just glug the whole thing all over everything. Give the chicken salad ingredients an even, light toss and then spoon spoon fulls of the dressing around the outside of the bowl, tossing to coat everything, and adding more as needed. This way you don’t over do the dressing and drown the chicken salad.
Load up 4 toasted wheat hoagie rolls with the chicken salad and serve right away.Print
Garden fresh romaine and arugula, red onion, grape tomatoes, fresh dill, avocado, sharp cheddar cheese and chicken breast pieces; tossed in a garlicky poppy seed dressing, served on a toasted wheat hoagie bun
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast (pieced apart)
- 1 cup romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup yellow grape tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/4 red onion (slivered)
- 1 handfull fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 large avocado (chopped)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 4 wheat hoagie rolls (toasted)
- In a large bowl toss together chicken, veggies, dill, avocado and cheddar cheese.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and poppy seeds.
- Dollop spoon fulls of the dressing around the outside of the chicken salad bowl, and toss to coat. Add more dressing one spoonful at a time until satisfied. Store leftover dressing in an airtight container.
- Serve on toasted wheat hoagie rolls.