Classic chocolate ice cream sandwich cookie recipe that is perfect for sandwiching your favorite ice cream in between.
This recipe makes one dozen rectangular cookies that you can literally use with any flavor of ice cream you desire.
The homemade cookie dough is really easy to make, and the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to make larger batches.
Homemade ice cream sandwiches are a fun way to elevate a traditional, nostalgic snack.
Combine the dry ingredients together until evenly mixed.
In a separate bowl, using a stand mixer, or by hand, cream the butter and sugars together.
The mixture will be slightly crumbly, but just make sure there are no large chunks of butter.
Add the egg and vanilla to the bowl of creamed butter and sugars, and mix until a smooth batter forms.
Add the the cocoa powder mixture (the combined dry ingredients) to the batter, and mix for 5 minutes, until fully combined.
The dough will be stiff.
Once fully combined, you should have a stiff but pliable, dark chocolate dough.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least two hours, up to overnight. You can speed this process up by chilling it in the freezer for 30 minutes (60 minutes max).
Cut the Cookies
Place the chilled dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll with a rolling pin to ⅛" thickness.
Cut the dough into rectangles of desired size, directly on the parchment paper. You can measure it if you want them perfect, or just eyeball them.
Remove excess dough from the edges and repeat the process with the scraps until all of the dough has been utilized.
Pierce holes into each rectangle several times, evenly across the tops with a fork.
Bake the Cookies
Lift the parchment paper to transfer the cut cookies onto a baking sheet.
Bake for 8-9 minutes at 350 degrees in the oven.
Allow the fully baked ice cream sandwich cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Make the Ice Cream Sandwiches
Once completely cooled, re-score or cut the cookies at the seams (because they will have baked together slightly), and separate them.
Scoop your favorite, softened ice cream flavor (or flavors) onto a cookie, spread and top with another cookie.
Wrap individually in plastic wrap or parchment paper, and freeze for at least an additional hour before serving.
To speed up the chilling of the dough, you can chill it in the freezer for 30 minutes, up to a maximum of 60 minutes.
Dough can also be chilled overnight in the fridge.
Soften the ice cream for 20 minutes on the counter top before attempting to spread onto the chocolate sandwich cookies to avoid breaking them.
Use a knife ran under hot water to smooth the edges of the ice cream before wrapping them up to store in the freezer.
Homemade ice cream sandwiches can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, when wrapped individually.
If you tried this recipe, leave a comment or rating below for other readers!
Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Cookie
- parchment paper
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon black cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter 1 stick
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dry ingredients (cocoa powders, baking powder, flour, salt).
- In a separate bowl butter and sugar together until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter and sugar mixture.
- Dry ingredients (cocoa, baking powder, flour, salt) with the wet ingredients (butter, sugar, eggs vanilla).
- Roll dough out between two pieces of parchment paper until it is ⅛th inch thick.
- Cut into rectangles, approximately 5 inches long.
- Freeze rectangles in the freezer to set and harden.
- Remove rectangles from freezer, arrange on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart and pierce with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6-9 minutes until edges are set.
- Freeze again for 30 minutes to harden and set (can be done in a stack if parchment paper is between them).
- Spread ice cream on one cookie, and sandwich another on top of it.
- Freeze for one hour to set.
- Store in zip lock bag for up to 3 months.
- Nutrition facts do not include ice cream, they are only calculated for the cookie (2 per serving, since they're sandwiches).
- To speed up the chilling of the dough, you can chill it in the freezer for 30 minutes, up to a maximum of 60 minutes.
- Dough can also be chilled overnight in the fridge.
- Soften the ice cream for 20 minutes on the counter top before attempting to spread onto the chocolate sandwich cookies to avoid breaking them.
- Use a knife ran under hot water to smooth the edges of the ice cream before wrapping them up to store in the freezer.
- Homemade ice cream sandwiches can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, when wrapped individually.