The flavor of sweet, buttery moist banana bread baked into mini muffins.
These delicious miniature banana bread muffins are the perfect way to use overly ripe, very sweet, very soft bananas that are too browned to eat.
To prepare the batter mix the granulated and brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sour cream plus the pureed bananas.
Then, add the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Using a wooden spoon, mix them in gently until they're just combined.
Fill the muffin cups until they're about two-thirds of the way full.
Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, before baking, if desired.
Mini muffins do not have to bake as long as standard-sized muffins.
Bake the mini muffins for 12-14 minutes but check them quickly at 10 minutes in case your oven runs a little hot.
To tell if they're done, a toothpick inserted right into the center should pull out with a few, moist crumbs.
Cool the muffins before storing them in an air-tight container or on a plate covered with plastic wrap for up to five days.
If you made this recipe, leave a star rating using the recipe card below.
Mini Banana Muffins
For the cake
- 4-5 bananas very ripe, brown bananas (mashed or pureed )
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup walnuts chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a mini muffin tin with paper liners, or grease or use a nonstick mini muffin pan.
- Mash or puree bananas until there are no lumps left.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bananas, sugars, eggs, vanilla, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg and sour cream until well blended.
- Add baking powder, soda, salt and flour and stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins two thirds of the way full.
- Sprinkle batter filled tins with chopped walnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack or counter top.
- Thaw frozen bananas in a bowl of cold water or on the counter top at room temperature.
- Don't over-mix the batter.