You can still make super soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar. These cookies are moist, buttery and will fill your house with the aroma of freshly baked cookies.
Don't worry if you have a craving for warm chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven, even if you're out of brown sugar.
Brown sugar is not necessary with this recipe!
Really, brown sugar is just white sugar, with a bit of molasses mixed in. Try this easy recipe for how to make brown sugar if you're interested. (It only takes 30 seconds!)
Brown sugar can help with making some cookies thick and chewy, but these chocolate chip cookies are still every bit as soft and delicious without using brown sugar.
The ingredients needed to make warm, soft chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar are pretty straight forward.
Flour- all purpose, sifted.
Chocolate chips- dark chocolate or semi sweet, or milk chocolate if you prefer a sweeter, milder chocolate.
Sugar- white, granulated.
Butter- salted, completely softened at room temperature.
Start by mixing the "wet" ingredients. This consists of the softened butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
Mix until combined.
Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a spare bowl until the baking soda and salt are evenly distributed in the flour.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixed wet ingredients and mix until a thick dough has formed.
Roll 2 inch balls of dough between the palms of your hands and place on a baking sheet two inches apart.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until edges are set and centers are soft.
Cool the cookies on a cooling rack or plate.
You can store the chocolate chip cookies on a plate, covered with plastic wrap for up to five days.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment below or rating in the recipe card.
Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar
- ½ cup salted butter (1 stick) softened on counter top
- ½ cup sugar granulated
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz chocolate chips dark or semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine 2 ¼ cups of all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Combine 1 stick of softened butter, 1 cup of sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 2 eggs until smooth. A few lumps are ok, and they will smooth out during the final mixing.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until dough forms.
- Roll the dough into 2 inch balls, and arrange on a baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake the balls of cookie dough for 10-12 minutes until bottoms are golden brown and edges are set.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes on a cooling rack or the baking sheet before serving.
- Store cooled cookies at room temperature, covered for up to five days.